[thelist] make mysql accept 0 (zero) as a primary key value

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Thu Dec 9 12:22:49 CST 2004

I've got a database which contains all of the data for a client's
siteand custom CMS. When I'm doing development for the site, I do it on
a local machine with a local copy of the database. I like to keep this
copy of the database fairly current by doing regular dumps of the live
database and then running the dump file on the local database.

For the most part, this works fine, with just one exception. I have a
lookup table called Agencies, containing columns AgencyID and
AgencyName. I've added a dummy row to the database with AgencyID = 0 and
AgencyName = 'No Agency'; this allows me to avoid doing a lot of left
joins in queries throughout the site, and to have the value hard-coded
in several places. If I do a dump of the entire database, then try to
run the dump file in my local copy of the database, I get the error
"Duplicate entry '1' for key 1" - basically, it will add the row with
the AgencyID = 0 fine, but fails when it then tries to add the row with
AgencyID = 1. I can go in and manually add the row, just not using the
dump file.

Is there some option I can add to the create table definition that will
make this work, or a database-wide setting that will work? Any
suggestions on how to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated.

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com