[thelist] collapsible elements without using IDs

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 14:03:47 CST 2004

Hi Christian,

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:01:14 +0000, Christian Heilmann
<lists at onlinetools.org> wrote:
> The only thing that is not OK is to collapse elements via CSS only, for
> the mere reason that users might  not have javascript enabled and will
> thus be never able to  expand those.

Well, that is why the initial class is a "dummy" class called
"collapsible." (or "expandable" -- they both do nothing but mark divs
I want this functionality for). This does not collapse these elements.
The only way the element will become collapsed is if javascript is
enabled, because it is initCollapsibleDivs() (or whatever I called it)
that actually sets the initial collapsed or expanded state.

> I  seem to remember your example being rather complex, if you could tell
> me exactly what you need to  do, I could create a simple one,
>
> Am I  right to assume that you need a script that loops through  all
> elements and checks if they have the class collapsible. Then you want to
> create a link preceeding them which expands and collapses them?

Yes. And I need it to be as general as possible because I want the
functionality regardless of how many divs on the page need to be
collapsible/expandable. This is the reason I am looping through all
divs on the page looking for the 'collapsible' or 'expandable' class
"marker".

After explaining that the collapsible/expandable classes will do
nothing for the javascript-disabled user (and thus be expanded by
default), does my solution follow this standard?

Thanks again for all your help,

--
Matt Warden
Miami University