[thelist] bad css in IE? help please...

Viveka Weiley viveka.weiley at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 22:05:04 CST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:37:29 -0700, Steve Clason
<stevec at topdogstrategy.com> wrote:

> You have this:
>      letter-spacing: 0px;//don't steal sheep
>
> The comment after "letter spacing" uses improper syntax and seems to
> confuse IE. Either delete it or use "/* insert comment */" if you really
> want to warn people not to steal sheep.

Ah! Thankyou, that fixed it. Oops.

<digression>
The comment is a reference to the quote from the wonderful type
designer Frederic Goudy
http://www.rit.edu/~goudyctr/Goudy/images/initials.jpg
"Anyone who would letterspace black letter would steal sheep" (said
upon receiving a certificate to which this had been done, ruining the
careful spacing of the original typeface), which is generally cited as
"anyone who would letterspace lower case would steal sheep". The
intent of the comment is to to defer the deluge of email that I expect
to receive from the army of purist typographers who, upon viewing my
CSS source, will be incensed by these declarations:

.artist {
    color: #FF7800;
    letter-spacing: .1em;
}

.title {
    font-family:Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times;
    color: #758F9C;
    font-weight: normal;
   letter-spacing: .1em;
}

where I ignore the injunction entirely. Specifically I want to make
this ravening mobb aware that I know of the quote, and thereby force
them to put forward a reasoned argument of their own instead of
repeating it. I think I could put a strong case that "black letter" is
quite different to "low-resolution true italic slab-serif used as a
display face" (as used in .title); but I don't know if I could defend
doing it to Verdana (as used in .artist), so perhaps I'd better
rethink that one.
</digression>

Regards,

V.