[thelist] Re: PHP mail to many recipients

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Mon Dec 13 14:40:02 CST 2004

Graham,

There is a middle ground between sending out to each message
individually in a loop, and sending them all at once in the BCC field of
a single message. In a theatre site that I run, I have a mailing list of
a few hundred email addresses, and the first time I tried sending out a
message to everyone (manually from my email client), it indeed tripped
an anti-spam filter at my ISP. (Don't know if they noticed, but it
indicated to me somehow that it wasn't going through.) I got around this
by splitting up the list into chunks of a hundred or fewer addresses
each, and doing the BCC thing with each chunk. Later, I wrote a "mailing
list wizard" script for others in the organization to use, which did a
similar thing programmatically, using Perl. It's not too hard.

Disclaimer: The list I use this with is a valid mailing list which
people only get on by signing up for it. Assuming yours is the same...

- John
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.