[thelist] FORMs question

Andrew Clover and-evolt at doxdesk.com
Mon Dec 20 10:46:07 CST 2004

Sarah Sweeney <mr.sanders at designshift.com> wrote:

> I don't see this attribute in the W3C specs - is it a standard
> attribute? Will it work cross-browser?

No, and no. contenteditable is part of IE's wide-ranging ability to
edit/not-edit any part of an HTML page in-place, so supporting it is a
big job for any browser. There is some argument about whether Mozilla
should implement it; my personal opinion is 'no' as I believe the
feature to be badly-designed and misconceived. (For argument's sake, I
would much prefer any HTML-editing facility to be accessible through
<textarea type="text/html">.)

Anyway back in the real world, readonly (readonly="readonly" in XHTML)
is a much better choice for normal circumstances.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://www.doxdesk.com/