[thelist] Strategic Advertising

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Mon Dec 20 16:35:02 CST 2004

Message from Caleb Mazalevskis (12/20/2004 11:22 AM)
>Hello.
>
>I was hoping to seek advice on methods of mailing list advertisement, if
>anyone has any knowledge in that area.

>primarily aimed at an audience wanting to discuss content on my website,
>discuss any topics based on or arising from my website (such as music and
>digital art), but I don't feel it's reaching it's target audience all that
>strongely.
>
>What's the best way to go about advertising my mailing list?

Unfortunately I have more questions than answers at the moment.

How many visitors does your site get? What percentage of them are on your
mailing list? What percentage, realistically (100% is not realistic) would
you like to see on your mailing list?

What value do I get by subscribing to your list?

What's the demographic of your site like? Is it a demographic that:
- is interested in reading lengthy blurbs of text?
- is interested in *writing* lengthy blurbs of text?
- is familiar enough with the Internet to know what a mailing list is?

 From the front page of your site: "For the latest thoughts on the world or
to chat to other members, you can post to the left or join the HitList."

That sounds pretty generic. I can get latest thoughts on the world and chat
with other people on pretty much any site these days. Why should I choose
your little neck of the cyberwoods? Further, why should I go to all the
trouble to subscribe to a mailing list when there's a convenient little
"thought" box right there for me to say my two cents?

Especially after I read some examples of "Recent Thoughts":

" Mysika: Tell me more about u Maiku"
"Dr Praecox: Belinda, Will you marry me !!!???"
"Mysika: why do a ritual to god, just cause u love someone"

Not really sterling examples of lengthy communication is it? Certainly not
something I'd waste my time to subscribe to an entire mailing list for.

Nevertheless, I wandered over to the HitList page. Now that's a name
that'll make people want to be a member.

hit list (noun)
1. A list of potential murder victims.
2. A list designating a target, as for attack, coercion, or elimination
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=hit%20list

<sarcasm>Yup. Can't wait to get on your HitList.</sarcasm>

Then on the HitList page you proceed to spend 165 words telling me what the
HitList is. And, I should add, in tiny purple on black (low contrast) text.
Then spend a further 187 words telling me "How It Came About".

<sarcasm>By this point I'm just bubbling with excitement...</sarcasm>

Within the aforementioned 165 words you state "...the mission of the
HitList is general discussion, which brings me to why we've got a mailing
list rather than a forum or chatroom. Every day, it seems that more and
more people are creating their own forums or chatrooms, usually just for
the hell of it."

Aren't you creating a mailing list "just for the hell of it"?

Bottom line, I think, is how many people do you really think are interested
in a mailing list about your site? You, certainly. Your site suggests you
have a penchant for rambling, but really, is anyone interested in
listening? Is it enriching their lives in any way if they do?

The desire to do something different is a creditable one, but perhaps in
this case a forum or chatroom *is* the best option for your site.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/