[thelist] Total separation of content and presentation

Mark Groen markgroen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 09:48:42 CST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:01:48 -0500, Ellen Kanner <> wrote:
> Folks-
>
> We're looking for someone who has experience designing a layout that
> has _all_ of its positioning in CSS sheets, and none in the HTML code.

not really sure why you can't find what you are looking for, I would
consider this sub-site I made for a client meeting the criteria,
condensed (took out a couple paragraphs for brevity):

<h2 id="Header">Bowen Island Arts Council</h2>
Cultural Master Plan (CMP) was completed, and soon it will form part
of our Official Community Plan. One of the central themes in the CMP
is the recommendation for the municipality to actively support and
make a public priority the acquisition and expansion of arts and
cultural facilities that are accessible to the community at large.</p>
Arts Council created the Community Hall and Arts Centre Committee
(CHAC Committee) in February 2004. Membership of this Committee
includes: Ian Davidson, Paul Hooson, Matt Maxwell, Martin Clarke, Tina
Nielsen and Kate Coffey. The mandate of this committee is to plan,
design, locate and realize the creation of a Community Hall and Arts
Centre on Bowen Island, and for the past 10 months the CHAC committee
has been moving towards that goal through the creation of a business
plan.</p>
<script src="code/menuinc.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

As you see, there is still a div or two in there, there are to many
differences between browsers not to use *some* divs to move content
where you want. In this case, it's a classic left hand navi with
header and content below when rendered, disregard the non-accessible
javascript nav, there's an accessible one too but it's at the bottom
of the html code as well.

Or, have a look at http://rudy.ca or
http://healthybrain.org/overview.htm - they are relatively semantic
and the nav in the code is near the top of the html, but again there
are still some div elements in there. I can't get around where you say
you don't want any div's :"That means that there would be no divs in
the HTML that act as column containers" but then say you do want divs:

Our ultimate goal is to be able to reposition any module of content
(surrounded by a div) anywhere in the page, in any column, in any order
... and still have flexible design :)

Which is it?

Other examples out there too, http://www.csszengarden.com has all the
same html, but again there are divs to position everything, is that
what you are looking for?

cheers,

             Mark

             MG Web Services
             www.mgwebservices.ca

Your Canadian West Coast web site development and hosting solution.