[thelist] Site Check - Schoolhouse Arts Center

Rosalie Sennett rsennett at brainlink.com
Tue Dec 21 09:50:52 CST 2004

John,

I think that when you decide to use percentages you're always going to run
into the situation where your nav bar piles up on itself in certain
browsers.

This is a public site, so you do have to take into consideration that your
audience may require accessibility features and the lack of a fixed font
will do that nicely...

However, I think you could probably decide up on a fixed width like 750px,
fix your nav bar by boxing in a fixed div and using a fairly large font
(since you don't have many buttons) and let the body type flow...

That would reduce your headaches and let you have more control over the
positioning of the navbar elements. You could also reduce the size of the
navbar, center it and let it float, but in a relative position to the
expansion of the rest of the site.

I wouldn't worry about a problem with IE5.5. if you see a gap it is a bug
that was clearly fixed in IE 6.0... nothing you can do about that.
I see it with the gap in Dreamweaver MX 2004 design view actually and poked
at it for a while with no remedy. But it looks fine in IE 6 and Netscape 7

As for the house photo. I think I see what the designer is going for, but
she may want to kind of tone down her brush a bit. The Sepia toned
photograph has a particular kind of grainy brush quality. She may want to
add the color with the same kind of brush. Sort of like a retouched photo.
Right now it looks like what happens when your three year old gets near a
family heirloom with a set of markers! ;-)

Regards,

Rose

c:/dos
c:/dos/run