[thelist] Database Licensing Question

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Tue Dec 21 19:30:13 CST 2004

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 01:00, Ken Schaefer wrote:
> : > :-) For someone on the windows platform i would say there is little> : >
> : > reason to use mysql anymore.
> :
> : Well... scalability would be one... MSDE is restricted to 2GB database>
> size, and 5 concurent users... and when you need to scale to MSSQL your
> : licenses go through the roof.
>
> The 2 GB limitation will go away in the next version of SQL Server (SQL
> Server 2005) which will be released in about 6 months.
>
> The 5 concurrent user limit is incorrect - I'm not sure what you're basing
> that on.
On a few webpages, but that could be outdated info...
http://www2.goldfisch.at/knowledge/290
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1442291

> There is a workload governor which limits you to 8 concurrent
> operations, which is enough to support dozens (or even a hundred or more
> users):
Here they say 25 users...
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/msdeuse.asp

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/architec/8_ar_sa2_0ci
>q. asp?frame=true
Yeah it explains how it has been crippled so that it slows down when it's
doing more than 8 operations at the same time, that's what i meant when i
said;
"Well... scalability would be one... <snip> ... and when you need to scale to
MSSQL your licenses go through the roof.
Which was based on:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.asp

And I'm not particulary against MSSQL, ( I actually maintain one WIN2000 MSSQL
server among several Linux/MySQL servers, and although I find it a bit clunky
to work with, I must say it holds up well as it is being continuously
bombarded, and is well over 20gigs in size... no real problems so far... ) ,
but I far prefer mySQL, and we make a point of donating something to the OS
softwares we use profesionally anyway, so I'm happy to give a few $100 to
support an excellent product.

Richard.