[thelist] CSS rounded borders in IE/Win problem

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Wed Dec 29 02:44:37 CST 2004

At 22:57 on Tuesday, 28 Dec 2004, Matt Warden wrote:

> thelist,
>
> I am having a problem with rounded borders using the background-image
> method in IE on Windows. I'm really not sure what the problem is, but
> I think I have it narrowed down to *where* the problem is. See a
> simplified template here:
>
> http://mwarden.f2o.org/test/navproblem.htm
>
> As you can see, on IE, the right and left border extends further than it
> should.

it's #navlist that needs attention.

This page:
http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/hollyhack.html

explains some of the weird display bugs that IE exhibits when you have
elements without stated dimensions.

give #navlist a width and your problem is solved.

AFAIK it's to do with "layout"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtml/reference/ifaces/currentstyle2/haslayout.asp

and elements that don't have layout, are rendered strangely by IE.

hth