[thelist] controlling the back button

Christian Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Sun Jan 2 05:58:11 CST 2005

Tony Crockford wrote:

> I'm sure this has come up many times, and will no doubt cause a
> kerfuffle.
>
> I'm aware of all the reasons why i shouldn't - googling finds thousands.
>
> my question is how can I, or how best to avoid the need.
>
> I'm building a PHP/MySQL application using data entry forms.  in some
> cases it would be desirable to prevent the user from using the
> browser  back button - e.g a part completed form, part updated record.
> etc.
>
> Could I ask for links to information on:
>
> * best practice for avoiding the need to disable the back button
> (what  should I be doing with my data entry design)

Make sure you display the errors properly, either by flagging up to the
user which elements where missing as a list above the form linked to the
fields in question, or by simply displaying only the missing fields once
more.

Forms and usability are a much too wide field to answer in one email.
There is quite a good book on the subject out though:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/073571410X/icantcouk09-21/202-0858402-4375853

> * best practice to disable the back button - for those desperately
> important occasions when it's unavoidable.

Best practice is don't bother. There is _no_ way of doing it that
wouldn't be an accessibility nightmare or easy to circumvent via turning
off scripting or using keyboard shortcuts.

HTH

Chris