[thelist] CSS layout help needed

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Sun Jan 9 11:11:43 CST 2005

Message from klute (1/9/2005 11:55 AM)
>rosalie and marc and others, thanks for your replies.
>
>to give you some background: someone built the layout
>for me based on a template (
>http://www.cssdev.com/csslayouts/vertical/two_column/fluid_right.htm
>) frome the site recommended by cody.

Please note that this is in no way a criticism or attack on that site, but
by the author's own admission, over on the CSS-D mailing list, he's "been
designing with standards now for just over 6 months". (This was in his post
announcing his new site - cssdev.com - on October 3rd 2004.)

Additionally his only posts to that list, which is probably the most
definitive CSS-specific discussion list around, were the thread where he
announced that new site and subsequent replies to that thread.

I personally would stick with templates developed by people with far
lengthier experience and demonstrated problem-solving abilities.

In addition to the links previously given to the noodleincident site and
the brainjar article, http://www.positioniseverything.net/index.php is
another excellent resource. Though it doesn't have templates, it links to
many useful sites, some of which do.

>(marc, you are right, i'll change the name of that to
>vertbar or something)

Minor point here, but... what happens when you decide you want to present
the content horizontally?

Don't name the container based on where it is or what it looks like. Name
it by what it contains. You didn't say #boxontop or #boxbelow did you? You
said #header and #footer

>( http://devbistro.com/wdf/index2.html ).
>now, the header nav images don't show up but that's
>obviously a different problem i have to tackle.

Why are you putting the images in the background? Seems like you're just
making life difficult for yourself.

I think they're not showing because they're referenced as
url(../images/advertise_hover.gif)

Based on the url http://devbistro.com/wdf/index2.html, the absolute url
that's referencing is http://devbistro.com/images/advertise_hover.gif

Remove the ../ so it'll reference
http://devbistro.com/wdf/images/advertise_hover.gif

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/