[thelist] easy one - ASP open new window

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Jan 10 09:44:45 CST 2005

Brian,

I've had great success when I approach problems such as this using a
controller/slave model.  Consider the initial window as the controller and
the popup dialog window as a slave.  Once the slave is done verifying the
credentials of the visitor, it would notify the parent window to continue on
with the action.  The controller window would then close the slave window
(the popup) and open a new window at the correct destination.  Using this
manner you've delegated exactly one action to the popup
window--credentialing and report back--and thusly created a component that
could easily be reused throughout the site, or even among various projects!

Every section of the application, of course, should concern itself with
ensuring that the viewer does indeed have permission to view the section.
If not, the section should not allow access.

Does this help?

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.