[thelist] Checking javascript syntax

Christian Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Tue Jan 11 06:09:02 CST 2005

Jordi Massaguer i Pla wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>I am new to this list and I don't know if this has
>been asked before. I've tried to search the archives
>but I haven't found an answer to that. So, sorry if
>this has been posted before.
>
>Is there a way to check that a javascript code is
>right? Is there a way to check that a javascript code
>conforms to W3C DOM 1 when accessing to html content?

First  of all - Accessibility is about your visitor, not about meeting a
semi-standard that has been  made up and revamped by now.
Javascript is "accessible" when it is unobtrusive[1], meaning you need
to ensure that no vital function of your page  is dependent on it. When
Javascript is off, it should still be usable. Furthermore, javascript
enhancements should not be dependent on a mouse - something a lot of
DHTML menu authors forgot.

As to checking the syntax of Javascript, you can use Mozilla's
Venkman[2]. Good editors also show color coding, and show errors that
way.  For an overview as tohow to do preliminary accessibility checks on
different browsers, check my article published on devarticles[3].

[1] Unobtrusive Javascript:
http://www.onlinetools.org/articles/unobtrusivejavascript/
[2] http://www.svendtofte.com/code/learning_venkman/
[3] http://www.icant.co.uk/forreview/browsertests/