[thelist] Apache Authentication Problems

Alan Lloyd alan.lloyd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 12:43:02 CST 2005

Hello

I am having a few problems with authentication. No matter what I do I
can not set up a password protected directorys.

I have tried using .htaccess, a directory container in the conf file
even tried using plesk (plesk does it automatically in the conf file).

When I set everything up all I get is a 401 error. There is no pop-up
login box. So no chance to even enter a passwd.

Other directives in .htaccess files seem to work ok. Just not authentication!

I do get some errors in the logs but nothing I understand! (see below)

The server is only a week only RH9 running
httpd      2.0.40-21.17.legacy
php      4.3.10-1.rh90.art
mod_python      3.0.1-4
mod_perl      1.99_07-5
perl-Apache-ASP      2.57-rh9.build75041216.14

I am not that hot on *nix stuff and this has really got me stumped.
The syntax of the .htaccess files are correct as they work when moved
to other servers (with path changes obviously)

I have posted a copy of my conf file here if anyone wants to take a look
http://tor-bay.co.uk/httpd_conf.txt

Here is the error log (not live)
http://tor-bay.co.uk/error_log.txt

The directory I am trying to protect is
http://tor-bay.co.uk/admin/

The server php info page can be seen here if needed
http://hosting-reserve.co.uk/info.php

There are no errors logged (debug) when accessing the page that should
be protected except 404 (error page not found) in the domain log.
Server log shows errors when I restart apache (see end of log file for
latest restart)

I have googled for the past two days with no luck. Hope someone has
some ideas. I did check with the plesk support team but they assure me
it can not be a plesk problem as plesk does not change or interfere
with apache in any way. The did suggest it may be a permissions
problem but they look correct.

When you look at the httpd_conf.txt file you will see some of the
modules have been commented out. That was me, they were all live. I
have just been trying to comment things out to see if that helps.

I don't have much of a clue about re-compiling programs etc on RH9 so
please keep it simple for me if you do have any ideas :)

Thanks in advance
Alan