[thelist] ComplexSpiral is working!

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Wed Jan 12 16:04:37 CST 2005

On Jan 12, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Joshua Olson wrote:

>> Many of you have probably seen Eric Meyer's "ComplexSpiral" demo

>> I... made it work.  IE Windows and Mac, Firefox, Safari.

>> <http://www.striderweb.com/webcraft/complexspiral/>
>
> [Y]ou've used checkboard GIF's to accomplish the illusion of
> semi-opacity.  I'm afraid that technique is... definitely not what
> Eric had in mind.

Well... Yes, that technique was arguably exactly what Eric had in mind
:-)  -- it's the compromise that he himself made for IE. (see his
Complex Spiral Devolved:
  <http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/complexspiral/demo2.html>)

What I accomplished here was that Eric's "fallback" failed to display
in IE 6 (the page looked seriously broken), but now it works.  And
whenever Microsoft gets around to fixing the "position: fixed" bug in
IE, changing one line of code will allow that (theoretical future)
version of IE to display the full effect, while _still_ providing the
fallback to IE5 and 6.

Any other browser will show the full effect -- the "checkerboard gif"
is simply an approximation of the effect that IE can handle.

You could of course drop in a solid background, or patterned image, or
anything you like for IE.  Take a look at the page in Firefox,
Netscape, Safari, Opera, what have you (anything _but_ IE or *ahem*
Netscape 4), and you'll see the full effect sans flicker.

Regards,
Steve