[thelist] CMS Advice

Noah St.Amand noah at tookish.net
Sat Jan 15 13:17:49 CST 2005

Hi,

I'm looking to implement an open source CMS, and I'm looking for some
advice as to which to use. I've been to a few comparison sites (like
<http://cmsmatrix.org/>), but I'd like to hear what some people with
real experience think.

Some basic requirements:

1. PHP/MySQL
2. GPL (or similar), and reasonably easy to customise -- I'm going to
have to do a lot of customisation, so I'd like something that's cleanly
coded and easy to understand and modify
3. designed for building and maintaining a quasi-static site with
standard navigation, in addition to adding articles, etc.
4. XHTML 1.0 transitional (at least), CSS-P (I can do this bit myself,
if necessary)
5. static page generation

At this point I'm leaning toward Drupal (http://drupal.org/>; I'm open
to being told why this is a bad idea, though. I've also had a look at
Mambo, but it looks like maybe the separation of logic, layout, and
presentation isn't as clean as it is with Drupal (which will complicate
customisation).

Thanks for any advice,
Noah