[thelist] browser hijacking

Rosalie Sennett rsennett at brainlink.com
Wed Jan 19 20:21:05 CST 2005

I had a similar dilemma. I now have so much blocker cleaner software
installed I nearly spent an hour debugging a problem that was caused by one
of my plugins not showing up automatically!

One program actually did work.

Believe it or not, it seems to be Microsoft AntiSpyware.
You can download the beta version (which is what they are offering ) from
the Microsoft site as long as you have your windows key (you can get it off
the tag on your PC or off the cd)

It also has a bunch of very interesting tools. One that showed me my hosts
file (which I never thought to look at) which was infested with loopbacks to
every adware site on the planet.

I ran the thing... after having run everything else a million times in safe
mode (this I did not run in safe mode) and I went through all the little
tools resetting and clearing and cleansing IE (which was infested I could
tell  by using google and getting nothing but links to more spyware checker
sites)

Just in case it wasn't this one but something else... here's my list.

Norton Antivirus (which kept catching webdllg32.dll but could not delete it)

Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spyware Doctor
Webroot Spy Sweeper
BHODemon
SpywareBlaster
CWShredder actually came with one of these but I don't remember which.

Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta 1 was the last thing I tried.

I felt violated every time I went to google... creepy.

I'm clean now.

Best of luck.

rose

"All my life I've wanted to be somebody; I see now I should have been more
specific."
 - Lily Tomlin