[thelist] Re: How do you work with other web designers?

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 19 21:00:40 CST 2005

On Wednesday, January 19, 2005, at 01:24 PM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2005 at 7:02, Diane Soini wrote:
> [...]
>> So, my question is, since the way I do web design is so incompatible
>> with wysiwyg, how do we work together? So far what I do is go back to
>> tables and Dreamweaver "layers", but I feel that dumbs down my resume
>> bit.
> [...]
>
> well, your question is almost your answer... you have to work *with*
> them... take some time to help them out, show them some new stuff...
>
> - sit with the designer when he/she is laying out a design in
> PS/DW/etc... weigh in with comments about how you might code it up to
> give some context... don't get too technical...

I'm not sure I was clear in my original message. It's not that I have a
designer and I do up their design in HTML. It's that I work on the same
files with other people who only know how to use Dreamweaver (and they
only know how to use the Dreamweaver layers) and pretty much know
nothing about the markup underneath. In other words, if I make up
something and somebody else in my group needs to work on it, if they
can't see it exactly as they expect in Dreamweaver then it's not good
for them.

I was curious how other people handle this type of situation. Standards
are nice and everything but I have yet to work with anyone who cares,
although I do preach as much as I can to those few who understand.

> failing that, override all <font> in your CSS to make them ugly
> green... and then refuse to change the CSS...

Ha ha. That makes me laugh. I do that, though, all the time. But I
override the font tags to the default so font tags just don't "work."
Mostly that's aimed at applications that don't behave (like Lotus
Notes) and not people.

Diane