[thelist] Re: How do you work with other web designers?

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Thu Jan 20 07:47:52 CST 2005

On 19 Jan 2005 at 19:00, Diane Soini wrote:
[...]
> I'm not sure I was clear in my original message. It's not that I have a
> designer and I do up their design in HTML. It's that I work on the same
> files with other people who only know how to use Dreamweaver (and they
> only know how to use the Dreamweaver layers) and pretty much know
> nothing about the markup underneath. In other words, if I make up
> something and somebody else in my group needs to work on it, if they
> can't see it exactly as they expect in Dreamweaver then it's not good
> for them.

ok, it seems i was a bit off... given that, however, have you tried
the DW templates thingie that locks portions of them out?

it might be appropriate to divvy up the work based on capability and
tool-set, as well...

for example, perhaps you become in charge of implementing the core
template, locking it, and rolling it out to the DW team... that way
you can help control it...

another option is that you don't collaborate with everyone on every
project... perhaps you take one from start to finish, skipping the DW
process altogether...

i know it doesn't sound very team-oriented, but sometimes your team
works best when each player does it his/her own way...

> I was curious how other people handle this type of situation. Standards
> are nice and everything but I have yet to work with anyone who cares,
> although I do preach as much as I can to those few who understand.

one thing we do in our organization is allow people to champion a
cause... take control of it, preach it, etc... it's more work, yes,
but perhaps you can do that within your organization? sometimes that
kind of stuff gets rewarded with raises, offices, cars, ulcers, and
football teams...

> > failing that, override all <font> in your CSS to make them ugly
> > green... and then refuse to change the CSS...
>
> Ha ha. That makes me laugh. I do that, though, all the time. But I
> override the font tags to the default so font tags just don't "work."
> Mostly that's aimed at applications that don't behave (like Lotus
> Notes) and not people.

it is a sinister kind of fun...