[thelist] Re: How do you work with other web designers?

Richard Livsey richard at livsey.org
Thu Jan 20 19:48:31 CST 2005

Diane Soini wrote:

> I'm not sure I was clear in my original message. It's not that I have
> a designer and I do up their design in HTML. It's that I work on the
> same files with other people who only know how to use Dreamweaver (and
> they only know how to use the Dreamweaver layers) and pretty much know
> nothing about the markup underneath. In other words, if I make up
> something and somebody else in my group needs to work on it, if they
> can't see it exactly as they expect in Dreamweaver then it's not good
> for them.

It depends on the project, and what they are actually doing in Dreamweaver.

Here's a solution I used when creating a site for Bath management school.
The web developers at Bath use Dreamweaver to manage content, but we
wanted a CSS layout which Dreamweaver couldnt handle.

I wrote some code to parse files outputted by Dreamweaver and transfer
the editable areas from one template to another. In this way they can
edit in one template, but it's displayed in a different one.

Using a different 'edit time template' also meant we could display
instructions and completely change the appearence when editing to make
it easier for them.

Examples of this are:
Actual file output by Dreamweaver -
http://staging.bath.clients.incutio.com/research/
File once it's been parsed into the new template -
http://bath.clients.incutio.com/research/

Note that those above links are quite old from a work in progress
version so may show up as invalid CSS/HTML.
Not sure what the URLs for staging are on the live system.

--
R.Livsey
www.livsey.org