[thelist] Accessibility and Proper Tabular Data Markup or Overkill?

Christian Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Fri Jan 21 11:21:20 CST 2005

Jono wrote:

> Thanks for the link Chris.  My reasoning for using the id/headers
> pairing is for the added flexibility it allows for styling.  I forgot
> to remove the align="right" and <b></b> before positing.  It looks
> like some of the examples on the page in that link use the scope
> attribute in addition to id.

How is that? An ID identifies only one element, so somehow you still mix
markup and presentation...

> So doing this would be just as well...

>         <th scope="row">Name</th>
>
> ...as this:

>         <th scope="row" id="name">Name</th>

Sure can, albeit I don't see what need is there, styling all the THs the
same makes them easily recognisable.

> Being that this information is so simple, and borderline tabular ( I'm
> not sure it is really ) I am wondering if I should use a styled
> definition list instead?
>
> Like so:
>
> <dl>
>     <dt>Name:</dt>
>     <dd>Mr. So Andso</dd>
>
>     <dt>Office:</dt>
>     <dd>Office name here</dd>
>
>     <dt>Phone:</dt>
>     <dd>555.555.5785</dd>
> </dl>

IMHO not a good idea, as this is the other way around that it should be

The title is defined by the definition not the definition by the title.

<dl>
<dt>Camel</dt>
<dd>A camel is an animal that lives in the desert and is used as  a
mean  of transportation. Its ability to store water for days makes it a
perfect desert dweller</dd>
</dl>

Whereas "Office Name" does not define what an Office is.

Another option would be <address>