[thelist] Jet SQL help

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Sat Jan 22 20:17:42 CST 2005

Ken Schaefer wrote:
<snip>
> but if you want to bring other data across (the Name field) you'll need to
> tell us what rule you want to use for eliminating one (or more) of the
> alternate values. In the case of the data above:
>
> 1000       John Doe     john at example.com      5.00
> 1002       John A. Doe  john at example.com     11.00
>
> which Name would you eliminate? John Doe or John A. Doe?

Good question.  In this case, since presumably all "name" entries that a
customer used to make an order are valid (they entered it themselves
after all), the first one would be fine and probably easiest.

By "properly" I meant in contrast to what I did end up doing, which was
to create new table with email as primary key, and then used
insert...select to populate the table and discarded the primary
key-violating rows when Access prompted me.  It worked, but it felt
dissatisfying.  :)

Thanks for following up, Ken!

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp