[thelist] SQL question

lists lists at ravenstudioz.com
Tue Jan 25 22:09:49 CST 2005

Ken,

Thank you for looking at my question. Access wouldn't accept that query
syntax-it complained vaguely about an error in the syntax of the from
clause. I tried to reformulate my question, and in doing so, realised that
it was much simpler than I had thought, as you pointed out, I just really
needed to get the MAX on the date created field for each eventid for each
project number, and I only needed to query the Events table. I ended up with

SELECT tblEvent.ProjectNumber, tblEvent.EventTypeID,
Max(tblEvent.DateCreated) AS MaxOfDateCreated
FROM tblEvent
GROUP BY tblEvent.ProjectNumber, tblEvent.EventTypeID;

I then queried the Event table again using this query as a filter to get the
related date and the status assigned to that date. (Probably not technically
correct terminology but that's how I conceptualized what I was doing.)

SELECT qLastDate.ProjectNumber,
qLastDate.EventTypeID,qLastDate.MaxOfDateCreated, tblEvent.Date,
tblEvent.DateStatus
FROM qLastDate INNER JOIN tblEvent ON (qLastDate.MaxOfDateCreated =
tblEvent.DateCreated) AND (qLastDate.EventTypeID = tblEvent.EventTypeID) AND
(qLastDate.ProjectNumber = tblEvent.ProjectNumber)
ORDER BY qLastDate.ProjectNumber, qLastDate.EventTypeID;

This gave me the data I needed. If there is a more elegant way to do it, I
appreciate all corrections. But thanks for helping me think!

Bettina May