[thelist] Simulating Folders that Don't Exist

Ross DeMeyere ross at demeyere.com
Wed Jan 26 08:30:26 CST 2005

On 26 Jan 2005, at 08:07, Rob Smith wrote:

> Is it possible, I'm sure there's a way, to simulate non existant
> folders in
> URL's? When customer enters something like:
>
> http://www.mydomain.com/ProductLineA or
> http://www.mydomain.com/ApplicationB
>
> That the would end up at something like
>
> http://www.mydomain.com/products/productid=223
>
> Possible strategies?

Custom 404 redirect?

<example>
client types in /productlinea
/productlinea will produce a 404 error
your custom 404 error page will get the information
your custom 404 error page will see that it should go to
/products/productid=223
your custom 404 error page will redirect
client will see the address bar change to /products/productid=223
client will be given the correct page
</example>

Ross DeMeyere
DeMeyere Design Incorporated
http://demeyere.com/
rossMania
a photo journal - the other side of DeMeyere Design
http://rossMania.com/