[thelist] Re: Logo design...

Scott Benton scott at printelectric.com
Thu Jan 27 09:22:31 CST 2005

Regarding the logo design question, I've been in the ad business for
over 12 years. In my experience, logos, along with all forms of
creative marketing (layouts, brand standards, ads, etc.) immediately
become the property of the end client upon completion of and payment
for a project. I put the best of my work in my portfolio for
promotional purposes. As a designer, I would never presume to dictate
the terms under which my clients could use (or modify) my work. If I
were to attempt to do so, my career would be over very quickly. I live
and work in Dallas, TX, and its a very competitive market here. There
are over 1,000 ad agencies in the phone book, most of them small
independent designers or agencies. If I were to concern myself with IP
issues and long-term usage of my work, there would be plenty of other
designers walking over my corpse to do the project on the clients terms
- and why not. I do the best work that I can do, I get paid for my
time, and the job is over. Next please. While I understand the concerns
over IP, and sometimes wince when I see what clients have done with my
work, this is a business, not an art form. People who are too attached
to their work to handle that reality should try making it in fine
art...