[thelist] Using JavaScript for non-clickable email addresses

Robert Vreeland vreeland at studioframework.com
Thu Jan 27 13:23:47 CST 2005

Checking the IP against a server side data set was the method of validating
the request came from a user and not a bot. So as is, that technique would
not work. But if you are willing use some JavaScript you could add a
mousedown event to the link which would set a client side cookie. The
requested page could (server side) check for the cookie and respond
accordingly: cookie exists - output mailto link, no cookie - output image of
link.

Robert Vreeland
Managing Partner
StudioFramework