[thelist] RE: common key to good sites

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Jan 27 15:37:13 CST 2005

Steven Streight wrote:
> What do you think is the One Common Key Ingredient
> that makes a web or blog site successful?
>
> MY tentative answer to my client is: it meets needs of
> audience.

That's true, but what about the needs of the site owner?  Anyway, that
answer seems a bit anticlimactic.  That can be said of just about any
publication, product, or for that matter religion.  How about some key
areas that websites do meet the audience's needs?  Off the top of my
head, in this order:
1. Content!
2. Usability ( and by extension, Accessibility )
3. Stickiness - site's content and/or tools can be used for multiple
instances/applications... maybe there's a better term?
4. Style (both visual and editorial)
5. Ubiquity - a product of both SE ranking and word-of-mouth.  Becoming
a "household name," if even in a niche market/discipline/interest.

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
Dynamic Websites and E-Commerce