[thelist] PHP Templating recommendations

John williams thudfactor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:09:55 CST 2005

Nothing is more lightweight and fast than just using PHP's own
print-and-echo statements. Remember you can use <?= $var ?> in place
of <?php echo $var ?>. In fact, just by using a class definition you
are significantly slowing down the execution of PHP.

I like Smarty, too, and use it in most of my large projects. And I
also use classes, so this shouldn't be taken as a slam against Smarty
or classes in general. But for simple survey or form handlers, I don't
think anything beats straight PHP. It is, after all, what PHP was
originally designed to do.