[thelist] overflow: auto;

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Mon Jan 31 14:48:47 CST 2005

Message from Dan McCullough (1/31/2005 03:34 PM)
>having a small issue with implementing this.  i cant implement this.  :)
>
>I have some content on one side its a box thats 425x400, and inside
>the box are images.  these images should overflow below the bottom of
>the box and a scroll bar should appear.

>CSS
>#styleSelect
>{background-color:#fff;height:425px;width:400px;text-align:center;border:3px
>solid #68BB30;padding:5px;float:middle;vertical-align:top;overflow:auto;}
>.styleimage {padding:10px 5px 10px 5px; overflow: hidden;}

Ok, I did a bit more investigating in the specs. I don't know if I'm on the
right track with this but,
according to the specs, Overflow applies to "block-level and replaced
elements, table cells, inline blocks".[0]

And also in the specs, "In terms of the visual formatting model, a table
may behave like a block-level or inline-level element. Tables have content,
padding, borders, and margins." [1]

So I figured, maybe it's not displaying as a block-level element, so I
added display:block; to the css selector and that fixed it in Opera and
Firefox. IE still didn't work without the div though.

[0] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#x0
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#q5

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/