[thelist] Suckerfish

Simon Perry thelist at si-designs.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 09:15:14 CST 2005

Rob Smith wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I gave you this site yesterday:
>http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/example/
>
>It worked fine on a win 2k pro box using IE 6.1, FF 1, NS 7.2, and Opera
>6.05 doesn't have a clue. My brother tried it on OS X and didn't report any
>problems. I'm assuming it worked in Safari and possibly FF/IE too.
>
>However, when I got home last night to my XP Home IE 6.1, it started to
>flicker when I hovered over the links. I just checked with my colleague here
>at work and it worked fine on XP Pro.
>
>A) Why would it do that at my home PC and not anywhere else?

This is very common behavior for IE when handling CSS. It will be that
you have the IE cache at home set to check for a new version on every
visit to the page and this triggers another of those lovely IE bugs.
Explained well by Dean Edwards[0] who even has a server side fix to
prevent it.

Quick question, did you STFW[1] for this before posting? Out of
interest, I did a quick search for "suckerfish IE flicker" and got a
full page of relevant explanations.

HTH

Simon

[0] http://dean.edwards.name/my/flicker.html