[thelist] suggested books?

TjL freebsdlists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:34:25 CST 2005

Hey folks

Getting back into web design, have a paying gig or two.  Looking for
some current favorites when it comes to books I ought to read.

I've read "Don't make me think" and "Taking your talent to the web"
and "The Definitive CSS" and a couple others, but nothing more recent
than that.

Have about $100 to spend m/l.... what would you suggest?

Here's what I came up with:

Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style Handbook (Pioneering
Series) - Dan Cederholm

Defensive Design for the Web : How to improve error messages, help,
forms, and other crisis points (Voices That Matter) - 37signals;

PHP and MySQL Web Development (3rd Edition) (Developer's Library) -
Luke Welling; [I have an old one of these... I know just enough
PHP/MySQL to be dangerous]

More Eric Meyer on CSS (Voices That Matter) [I'm fairly comfortable
with CSS, don't know if I need this one]

I'd welcome "Yes, that's a good choice" or "No, you ought to get XYZ
instead" or other comments.

Thanks!

TjL

aside: anyone see the current Amazon.com homepage?  WOW!  A full page
GIF if text!  How nicely inaccessible!

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/gateway/promo/jeff-letter-prime.gif