[thelist] RE: search network email files?

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Feb 4 21:28:14 CST 2005

I think there are a number of issues here. Not only do you need a technology
that will allow the user to save/archive all mail, but something that allows
searching, deleted item "undeleting" and something that can tell you *if*
something got deleted, and who did it.

There's not much point having a rule that says "due to legal requirements,
all mail must be saved", if there's nothing to stop (or detect) someone
actually deleting an incriminating email.

At the very least you'd need some kind of centralised mail storage system
(Lotus Notes, Microsoft Exchange, Novell Groupwise, or one of the other
ones), and then you need to implement appropriate technology so that you have
some kind of archive retention, deletion auditing etc. You probably also want
some kind of policy that allows for deletion of spam, virus emails etc as
well (perhaps by permitted admins, or by AV software etc).

Cheers
Ken