[thelist] RE: search network email files

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sat Feb 5 01:04:00 CST 2005

Well, I think this is starting to go rapidly off-topic, but since we're not
challenging the prevailing orthodoxy regarding the uselessness of Microsoft
Windows, it seems that the thread will continue :-) (that's sarcasm, just in
case anyone reading is unsure).

Why implement such a "proxy" system, and why the need to get people to change
their writing habits. Personally, I think that's a waste of time and effort.

There are products out there that will do all the stuff you want - do you
think that there aren't already a few hundred thousand businesses that aren't
in the same boat? Without knowing specifics of your requirements and current
setup, my suggestion would be to look at any of the enterprise collaboration
apps - Notes, Exchange or Groupwise. Most of the clients have full-text
searching capabilities, either built-in or as add-ons. You'll get better
security, better reliability (assuming you have the necessary product
management expertise) and a whole host of additional functionality (giving
you good ROI)

Cheers
Ken