[thelist] Do comments cause hit on system?

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Feb 7 11:17:53 CST 2005

Chris.Marsh at Callserve.com wrote:
> Comments can certainly be of benefit; a caveat being that since HTML
> comments are accessible to everyone, one should take care with the
> information that's included in source code.
> <!-- The following added by Chris Marsh on 31/12/2005 -->
> This may be of use to other developers, but it's also excellent for
> engineers of the social persuasion.

Where information about the application or developers working on the
project is included in comments, I generally make it a practice to put
the comments in PHP/ASP/etc instead of HTML.  E.g.
...</div>
<?php
/* The following added by Max Schwanekamp 7 Feb 2005
    Addresses problem with foo() output displaying incorrectly on OS Q */
?>

That way others devs with access to the source code can see it, but
"engineers of the social persuasion" see only the parsed output, not the
source code.

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/