[thelist] Restaurant websites?

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Feb 8 14:58:27 CST 2005

Louise Blackburn wrote:
>>http://shiokfood.com/
>>

> Award nominated by whom? Fails HTML, CSS, 508 and WAI checks. Collects
> personal, info, but no privacy policy, alt tags don't match images...

When I feed the url in the W3C validator, it shows up as valid XHTML 1.0
Transitional (which is what the doctype specifies). And all of the
images on the home page at least have correct Alt tags that are
descriptive and match the images.

As for accessibility, the page looks great in a text only browser. The
content is laid out well, the links and images are descriptive. As a
quibble, I'd try and put the navigation at the end of the html instead
of at the beginning, but that's not a huge deal, especialy since his
navigation menu is short.

The only issue that comes up on a WAI check that seems to apply is that
links are identified only by color. If a visitor was color blind, they
would have problems perhaps with the link styling. It could use an
additional bit of context to show that they are links.

What issues were you specifically referring to? The site seems quite
good to me. Oh, and I do agree about the lack of a privacy policy. If he
wants someone to sign up for a newsletter, he ought to have a privacy
policy.

 > but again if chefs started designing web sites.....

The funny thing about this comment being that Madhu (owner of Shiok) was
a web developer for several years before becoming a chef :)

Judah