[thelist] LAMP vs. Perl vs. Ruby on Rails

Dave Merrill dmerrill at usa.net
Wed Feb 9 08:57:25 CST 2005

If you're looking to get stuff done on the web, check out ColdFusion. Its
syntax is very similar to html, less like a "programming language", and it's
still pretty powerful. The development version is free. If cost to clients
is a big issue, there's a free mostly-compatible server called Blue Dragon.

IMO, php isn't as pretty as some other languages, and perl is much worse. Of
the choices you listed, Ruby on Rails is far and away the most elegant from
what I know, but I can't really speak to it in detail. Lots of work gets
done in php every day though.

FWIW, I'm a fan of python, and there are various approaches to web apps that
are based on python, from lightweight templating tools like Cheetah and the
php-like PSP, to heavy-weight solutions like Zope, or Plone (CMS, built on
Zope). Python is also more widely used than Ruby, if that matters to you.

If you want to be employable, learn java, but that's "real programming", and
you'll still want some sort of web app layer if that's your focus. (Java can
do desktop apps too.) If you want less $ but an easier learning curve, php.
There is ColdFusion and python work out there, but less, by a lot, and less
yet in ruby.

</$0.000002>

Dave Merrill