[thelist] ASP and MS Access Problem

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Feb 9 17:20:35 CST 2005

: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On
: Behalf Of David Williamson
: Subject: Re: [thelist] ASP and MS Access Problem
:
: Hershel wrote:
: > I have ASP code that accesses a MS Access database on a Win 2K Server
: > machine. The code has been in place and working for 6 months. This week,
: > when I go to some pages I see this:
: > ---
: > Provider error '80004005'
: > Unspecified error
: > /global.inc, line 7
: > ---
: >
: > then if I refresh, the page works. Refresh again once or twice and the
: > error returns. I downloaded the DB and did a "Compact and
: > Repair Database" (as suggested by a certain website [1]) and
: > uploaded but it seems not to help. The server admin says he
: > installed a few MS hotfixes a few weeks ago, but
: > aside from that, he is not aware of any changes on the server.
:
: What's causing the problem is the record locking in MS Access. It seems to
: come and go because (I think) the record lock times out

I doubt it's related to Record Locking in Access. There's a great whitepaper
you can download on Jet locking from the MS website that explains how record
locking works in the Jet version that Access uses.

: I've had this problem lots of times but have never really bottomed it out.
: What makes it worse is the way you get such a meaningless error message.

You are getting an error that ADO doesn't know about, hence "unknown error".
If ADO knew anything about the error, you'd get a more meaningful error
message.

: Have a look at
: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306518

And that article you linked to bears out my contention that if ADO knew what
was causing the error, you'd see a more meaningful error message.

Cheers
Ken