[thelist] LAMP vs. Perl vs. Ruby on Rails

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Thu Feb 10 09:03:18 CST 2005

http://pear.php.net/manual/en/introduction.php
http://pecl.php.net/

> [DB access]
> > * PHP can access virtually every known SQL source as well.
>
> Oh, so did they finally get rid of functions like mysql_connect()  in
> favor of something more abstract at this level of API? That
> would be a good thing, after all...

The old functional API is still there but deprecated[*] as of PHP5.
PEAR::DB and ADODB have been around for years now.

http://pear.php.net/package/MDB/ [perl DBI style]
http://adodb.sourceforge.net/  [MS ADO style]
http://creole.tigris.org/ [JDBC style]

* maybe not officially, but since PHP5 is OO-focused then you shouldn't
see it in any new, quality code