[thelist] possible to wrap lines up instead of down?

Mattias Thorslund mattias at inreach.com
Thu Feb 10 12:11:37 CST 2005

Hi,

I just got a 'different' kind of suggestion from my business partner,
who has no direct experience with web design (and sometimes that helps
in thinking outside the box):

We have this row of (horizontal) navigation links that we'd like to
style into "tabs" - for instance with the "sliding doors" technique
found at A List Apart:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/.  The problem is, that
this row of navigation links is dynamically generated and can be pretty
long, so it must wrap lines nicely if it doesn't fit nicely within the
width of the browser.  With links styled as just links, it's okay, but
tabs would look better if they wrapped the excess tabs to a line *above*
the first one instead of below.

Is there any hope of doing this dynamically in the browser with CSS
rules somehow, or must I make the server "wrap" the rows of tabs by
simply putting them on separate lines? The latter will cause the
wrapping of lines more often than necessary since I can't know the width
of the user's browser, and I try to avoid side scrolling.

All ideas are much appreciated...

Mattias Thorslund

--
More views at http://www.thorslund.us