[thelist] possible to wrap lines up instead of down?

Mattias Thorslund mattias at inreach.com
Thu Feb 10 13:02:58 CST 2005

Rob Smith wrote:

><snip>
>With links styled as just links, it's okay, but
>tabs would look better if they wrapped the excess tabs to a line *above*
>the first one instead of below.
></snip>
>
>I think I understand what you're trying to do. I'm imagining in my mind
>looking directly down a card catalog index in your public library. The front
>of the list starts with A. Once the end of the width on the right is
>exhausted with the letter E, the next one behind is F, but on the left.

Like this:

Item Five - Item Six - Item Seven
Item One - Item Two - Item Three - Item Four (***)

*** browser window ends here and the remaining items wrap to the line above.

If the browser was wide enough, we should see all the items on one row.
I'd like to avoid wrapping whenever possible, and also avoid side scrolling.

>Simply put, once you have your dynamically list of generated horizontal
>links, reverse the list, print.

You mean printing separate rows of tabs? I know I can do that but will
have to do it more often than necessary because they must fit a minimum
width - I can't know what with the browser is, can I?

>The browser renders like a comic book 0,0 to X,Y. So work with it.

Oh, I know that. But with CSS styling (and relative positioning) you
aren't so bound by that anymore.  I just haven't seen a solution to the
problem I'm having...

/Mattias

--
More views at http://www.thorslund.us