[thelist] Web server settings question

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Thu Feb 10 13:59:58 CST 2005

Hello, all,

   I just modified my contact email script ([1], but I haven't posted
the new version there yet, maybe tomorrow) for a friend, to write values
out to a CSV data file as well as sending the email containing them. The
CSV file is written to the /cgi-bin directory, same place as the script
resides. A big problem, which I hadn't anticipated, is that in his
domain, I (and anyone else) can type the full URL to the data file (such
as http://www.thedomainname.com/cgi-bin/contacts.csv) directly into the
address box, and it will send the whole file to the client! I didn't
expect this, and the domains that I have don't allow this. (I copied the
file to them, and typed the address, and got an Internal Server Error.

   So I'm thinking that there must be some switch that allows or
prohibits non-executable files in executable directories being sent to
the client. I'm not sure what the server is, but the provider is
www.hypermart.net. Can someone tell me if there is such a setting in any
or all of the major servers? If you happen to know what server this
provider is running, that would be even better! Thanks!

[1] http:/www.pobox.com/~JohnBrook/codelib/

- John
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.