[thelist] automatic mysql dumps from windows

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Wed Feb 16 11:55:21 CST 2005

Sarah Sweeney wrote:
> Is it possible to set up a scheduled task that will do a dump of a mysql
> database from windows, without having mysql installed on the windows
> machine? I have a client who would like to do regular backups of his
> database with a minimum of installing programs on his computer and
> without having to perform too many step to get the actual dump file. Ideas?

A prefab solution I've used for a few clients is phpMySQLBackupPro[0]
(gotta love those creative names).  It has a web-based front end if you
like, but can be used more usefully via cron as well (instructions for
doing so are included).  It makes a backup, keeps X days' worth of
backups on file, and optionally can email the dump file.  For my clients
I have the dump run nightly, and the dump file goes to their email.  If
the server is Windows, you can do a "pseudocron" by making the backup
get triggered by page requests.

[0] http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmybackup/

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp