[thelist] webdeveloper programms on linux

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Wed Feb 16 23:17:06 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 20:23 +0100, Internetvraagbaak.nl wrote:
> well found some new ones, thanks!!!
>
> other maybe other programs?
> -graphical
> - site building
> - other web developer tools

Orb is a handy HTML preprocessor. It's no longer being maintained but it
is still very useful, and in order to use it to its fullest potential
you need to know a little bit about "make" and writing makefiles (though
it's possible to just run something like "orb *.orb" or even "find .
-name *.orb | xargs orb").

For editing HTML (or Orb source) itself, I use a custom Emacs mode, as
yet unreleased (but I probably will soon, now that I remember),
developed from Nelson Minar's html-helper-mode. There's also Bluefish if
that's more your speed.

For blogging, Wordpress comes to mind. I have toyed with it a bit and it
seems like it's featureful enough for what I'd want to do.

For site updating, rsync is pretty useful, though I had to give it a
bunch of --exclude options to tell it what not to send over. There's
also the fish ioslave in KDE (a graphical interface to scp/sftp), which
can be accessed by giving Konqueror a URL starting with "fish://". I am
pretty sure there's a GNOME/Nautilus equivalent but I don't know what it
is right off-hand.

Those are the main ones I can think of. Others will undoubtedly come to
mind later.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>