[thelist] URL Renaming, Page Rank, Strategy

Rich Points rich at richpoints.com
Thu Feb 17 11:27:41 CST 2005

Howdy,
I'm working with a client that has had many webmasters over the years.
It seems that each one had their own unique way of naming files.  So the
site has .htm and .html files, most of the urls have capital letters
(something I hate), some of the urls use hyphens others use underscores
and lots of them have spaces or %20 in them.

here is an example url
<a
href="/product_pages/Product_Demi_Jus%20de%20Poulet%20Lie%20Gold%20.htm">Chicken
Demi-Glace</a>

I would like the urls to look something like this
Demi-Glace</a>

or even

This is a fairly large site that has been online for 8 years, it has a
Google page rank of 5.  I'm afraid if I rename the files I will loose
the page rank.  I could use .htaccess redirects to do this but I'm not
sure if that's the way to go.

My question is what is the best way to do this while maintain page rank?

Thanks
Rich