[thelist] Apache mod_rewrite

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Wed Feb 23 10:02:45 CST 2005

Hi

I had a chance over the weekend to play with the .htaccess mod_rewrite and
I'll admit that's it's really neat. It's neat for the onsies and twosies
that you need if for. But for the fact that it'll slow your server down
makes me shy away from it. My application could be about 10,000 rewrites and
the management therein.

I want to have the ability to give a link:

http://www.mydomain.com/ProductA

The catch is that the folder ProductA doesn't exist, hence, the mod_rewrite.
Moreover, the .htaccess that holds the rewrite is a little beyond my
knowledge/skill level. Can this ..thing.. be dynamic at all? I'd love to put
the pressure on mySQL rather than this one page and the webserver.

Can I do this better another way? Ideas? Thoughts?

Rob Smith