[thelist] Metatags - we are not ranked anywhere in the search engines - PLEASE HELP!

Dejan Kozina dejan at kozina.com
Thu Feb 24 01:58:11 CST 2005

Ugh. You really have some design problem here.
Let me try to delve into it point by point looking at the source of the
home page...

1)What you refer to as 'meta tags' are really 'meta keywords' which have
long been known as deadweight regarding their indexing effectiveness.

2)One of the things search engines do consider is the title tag. Yours
is empty.

3)Next thing is the content of the 'meta description' tag. This is
something you do it right. The first 255 characters of the description
are considered by the search engines, so the last 150 chars are ballast
again, but this won't do any harm to your ranking.

4)Now for the real trouble. What search engines want is content,
content, content high up in the page! This means real textual content,
not images of words. More, the content is weighted accordingly to the
position in the source: the earlier a keyword comes in the source, the
weighter it is. You have an appalling amount of, well, bloat between the
end the meta keywords (the last text an engine might relate to) and the
first lines of real stull (Airtech is a...). To be exact, 17,671
characters of wasted opportunities (scripts, layout-only tables, images
with no relevant alt attributes, java applets and so on). When you think
of the rollover scripts as so central to your page to have to be
inserted before anything else, well, the search engine just believes
your words and indexes the scripts accordingly higher than the rest...

No offense meant, but your home page is the prototype example case of
why the presentational stuff should be done with CSS (or of why one
should first learn his HTML handcoding it, before splashing out for
Dreamweaver).

Your website seems so to have been designed for visual appearance only,
without any consideration for search engine effectiveness, accessibility
(are you required to follow Section 508? Good luck), conformity to web
standards, device independence ...

If search engine placement and/or Section 508 are important to you, you
may think of starting anew. Hard to swallow, but I really don't see a
way to quickfix this.

djn