[thelist] RE: Transition from Print to Web

Steven Streight vaspersthegrate at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 12:05:57 CST 2005

A good question is brought up now, actually two:

(Q #1) Link words within the text of a web article, or
include a list of links in the manner of "footnotes"
to the article?

(Q #2) Why do we say that print is different from web?

My answers as follows:

(A #1) I recommend making hypertext links out of words
and phrases within the text of an article.

This practice enables users to pause in their reading,
click/select the link, read the supporting material
(definition, explanation, relevant article,
corroborating facts, testimonials, etc.), then, once
that word or phrase has been clarified or proven,
users may proceed with the rest of the article.

To list the relevant links in a group is a more
academic way of dealing with support material, and
perhaps this is more dignified and appropriate for
certain topics and situations.

I haven't really thought this through, to be quite
honest. I'm still pondering, but I tend to prefer the
linking within the article text.

(A #2) User observation and human-computer interaction
studies have provided much evidence that readers of
online material have different behavior than readers
of print material.

For example, people tend to read a magazine or book
from a well-defined start to finish, though magazines
have a less rigid path through the information.

Web sites allow users to follow their own paths via
navigation tools, even going off-site to other online
resources.

And users typically cannot bear to read material on
computer screens for very long, they prefer to print
out lengthy documents.

=====
Steven Streight
Web Usability Analyst & Content Writer