[thelist] post form element information & accessibility.

Ivo P ipletikosic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 10:54:04 CST 2005

I do the opposite:

<label for="textbox"> Your name: *error msg* </label> <input
id="textbox" type="text" name="name" />

While the error message is not really part of the label text the
intent is that users with special access needs dont have to navigate
the entire screen to find out what the error was and where. A visual
person might spot it immediately because the error message wasnt there
before and it might be in standout font but non sighted folk will have
a bit more trouble.

When tabbing into a form control screen readers will automatically
speak the associated label. If the error message is anywhere else it
forces the screen reader user to start moving the focus around the
page trying to 'nail' the error message amongst any other text that
might be on the page.

Ivo