[thelist] Flash Player crashing browsers - any ideas?

Sylvia Braunstein sylvia.braunstein at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 05:19:45 CST 2005

This is what has been going on:

On my brand new computer (with XP), Macromedia Flash Player is
freezing and crashing all the browsers. We upgraded to XP from Win
2000, precisely because of THAT Flash Player problem.

Reinstalled audio and video drivers, flash.ocx, checked security/popup
settings, you name it.

I wrote to Macromedia and this is what they wrote back:

"Support is discussing this with Player Engineering now, but we don't
have any firm handle on what it might be just yet. And I don't have an
ETA on when we might know what's going on.

So for the immediate future your choices for Flash Player use are this:
(NOTE: This is a temporary situation while we debug this issue! )

1. Use IE without Flash.
2. Use a different browser. All the non-IE browsers (FireFox, Netscape,
etc..) use the Flash Player plugin."

Unfortunately, the Flash Player freezes and crashes the other browsers
too (what is strange is that in Firefox some files run longer before
they feeze while others are not displayed at all. In IE the same thing
happens but not with the same files as Firefos and generally they
freeze faster.)

This has been going on for months now. On my computer at work, I don't
have that problem.

There is obviously a problem between the Flash Player and the Hardware.

I am wondering if someone has a clue. I have been reading about
software developpers, hardware engineers, all trying to find the
answer.

Meanwhile, no Flash Player.

Is there an alternative to Macromedia Flash Player?

Has anyone on these forums experienced this problem? If yes, did they
find a solution?

Thanks,

Sylvia